File a Formal Complaint (Victims Rights Act)

Crime victims are afforded rights pursuant to the Colorado Constitution.

If you feel as though your victim rights have not been provided to you by one or more criminal justice agencies, you may choose to file a complaint.

Although not required, we recommended that you first attempt to resolve your concerns at the local level. Here are some examples of how you might address your concerns:

  • Discuss your concerns with the person you feel has not provided you with your rights;
  • Ask your victim advocate or another supportive person such as a counselor for help;
  • Seek assistance from the elected official or head of the agency that you feel is not providing you with your rights.

Prior to submitting a formal complaint, please review Common VRA Complaint Process Questions, e-mail the Victim Rights Act (VRA) Specialist, or call 303-239-4497 for assistance.


What to Expect

Once you decide whether to file a formal complaint, you should be aware of What to Expect during the process.

After submitting a complaint to the Division of Criminal Justice, staff will gather the information necessary for the Victim Rights Act Subcommittee to review the concerns in your complaint.  The subcommittee uses the information to determine whether your rights under the Victim Rights Act (VRA) have been provided.


Contact the Division of Criminal Justice Victim Rights Act Specialist with any questions about filing a complaint, to receive a complaint form, or to discuss whether your concerns fall within the purview of the Colorado Victim Rights Act. 

Phone:  303-239-4497