How to File a Claim for Victim Compensation

We are sorry that you or your family have been physically or emotionally injured as the result of a crime.  You may be eligible to receive compensation for your financial losses.

To apply for victim compensation, you need to contact the administrator in the judicial district where the crime occurred. Use the map to find the district you need to contact.  Download the Judicial District Map.

Download the Victim Compensation Administrator List for information on who to contact for victim compensation.

This map shows the boundaries for the 22 Colorado Judicial Districts.
Map of Colorado's 22 Judicial Districts

First Judicial District

Ms. Valarie Van Kam
District Attorney's Office
500 Jefferson County Parkway
Golden, CO 80401-6020
(303) 271-6746
Fax (303) 271-6785

Second Judicial District

Ms. Latoya Thorne
District Attorney's Office
201 W. Colfax, Dept. 801
Denver, CO 80202
(720) 913-9253
Fax (720) 913-9035

Third Judicial District

Ms. Bobbie Marcus
District Attorney's Office


How to File a Claim

Victims are required to apply for victim compensation in the Judicial District (PDF) where the crime occurred.

  1. Contact the Victim Compensation Administrator (PDF) in the district where the crime occurred for an application.
    You can also download and fill out this Victim Compensation Application (PDF) and send it to the appropriate administrator.

    Call (303) 239-4493 or email for help locating the appropriate victim compensation administrator for your application.
  2. Submit the application and itemized bills directly related to the crime in the district where the crime occurred.  Districts may require additional information from applicants.
  3. The processing time is different for each district, however, it generally takes 30-45 days to be notified of the program's decision.
  4. If a victim compensation claim is denied or the award reduced, the victim has a right to ask the board to reconsider its decision. The victim should be notified of the right to request reconsideration of the board's decision in writing.

Most judicial districts have a system in place to assist non-English speaking victims of crime.

Please contact the Victim Compensation Administrator (PDF) in the judicial district where the crime occurred for further assistance.

Como Applicar Para Compensación de Victimas de Crimen

Para pedir compensación, se necesita solicitar la compensacion en el distrito judicial donde occurio el crimen.

  1. Póngase en contacto con el Administrador de compensación de víctimas (PDF) en el distrito donde ocurrió el crimen para empezar su reclamo.
    También se puede llenar esta Solicitud de compensación de la víctima (PDF) y enviarlo al administrador apropiado.
    Si se necesita ayuda localizando el administrador de compensación de victimas apropiado, llame (303) 239-4493 o email
  2. Adjunte todas las facturas detalladas directamente relacionados con el crimen y entregalos con su aplicación en el distrito donde ocurrió el crimen. Es posible que se requiere información adicional.
  3. Su reclamo será investigado y presentado al Consejo de Compensación de Victimas. Este proceso se puede tardar hasta 60 dias. Generalmente, notificación de la decisión del programa tarda 30-45 días.
  4. Si su demanda es negada, Usted tiene derecho de pedir una apelación del Consejo y tiene derecho de someter nueva o información adiciónal relacionada a las razón(es) que el Consejo uso para negar o reducir su demanda. Usted puede pedir una apelación contactando al programa de Compensación de Victimas dentro de 30 días despues de que reciba una noticia de negación o reducción de su reclamo. Si solicita una apelación, se le mandara mas información sobre el proceso por correo. Si la decision del Consejo es mantenida, Usted tiene 30 días en que esta decision puede ser revisada por Las Reglas de Colorado.

La mayoría de los distritos tienen unsistema para ayudar a las víctimas que no hablan inglés.

Para asistencia adicional, por favor llame al Administrador de compensación de la víctima (PDF) en el distrito judicial donde ocurrió el crimen.