Chief Justice’s Order that provides rules related to use of detention in that jurisdiction
Questions/Data to Review:
- Is there a difference by ethnicity of youth screened for detention?
- What is the number and percent of youth screened to each level by ethnicity?
- Are the reasons for detention different by ethnicity? Look specifically at warrants such as Failure to Appear and Failure to Comply.
- Do the levels of risk on the CJRA for youth detained differ by ethnicity?
- Which elements in the CJRA account for the differences in risk?
- What are the reasons that low-risk youth were detained? Does this differ by ethnicity?
- Are there issues with the availability of alternatives, availability of parents, or other items that might differ by ethnicity or geography?
- Was there agreement between the recommended placement level under the JDSAG and the actual placement?
- If not, how does this differ by ethnicity?
- Are there differences in leave reasons for youth based on ethnicity?
- For the negative terminations are there differences by ethnicity?
- Length of stay – does it differ by race/ethnicity – look at both the average and the ranges (minimum, maximum)
- Seriousness of offense
- Misdemeanor or felony
- Offender age and gender
- Differences between districts