The S.T.O.P. Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) Program funds help develop and strengthen effective law enforcement, prosecution, judicial strategies, and victim services throughout Colorado in cases involving violent crimes against women. Grant awards are made through a competitive application process. Approximately $1.6 - $1.8 million dollars in VAWA funds are distributed annually to organizations that address violence against women.
To apply for VAWA grant funds, visit the DCJ Grants page.
- What Does VAWA Fund?
VAWA funds are used for a variety of measures. VAWA funds can be used for:
- Comprehensive training projects (especially multi-disciplinary training)
- Specialized units such as programs in law enforcement or district attorneys' offices
- Projects developing protocols, policies, and evaluation mechanisms
- Projects developing data collection and communication systems
- Sexual assault and domestic violence victim services programs
- Projects concerning stalking
- Projects designed for Native American women
- Projects addressing the needs of older, disabled, and other underserved populations
- Projects supporting statewide multidisciplinary efforts e.g. training of sexual assault forensic medical personnel
- Assistance for domestic violence and sexual assault victims with immigration matters
- Is My Organization Eligible?
A variety of organizations are eligible for grant funding:
- Government agencies of the State of Colorado
- Units of local government
- Nonprofit, non-governmental victim services programs
- Indian tribal governments
- Faith-based organizations within the state of Colorado
- When Are Funds Awarded?
VAWA awards are made every two years, typically in late summer or early fall every two years. The Crime Victim Services Advisory Board makes the funding recommendations to the Director of the Division of Criminal Justice and the Executive Director of the Department of Public Safety.
- What are the Application Requirements?
In order to apply for VAWA funds applicants must provide 25% non-federal cash or in-kind match, non-profit or non-government victim services agencies excepted.
- What Organizations Have Received Funding?
VAWA funds have been used by a variety of victim service organizations. The list below shows prior award grantees.